Thursday, October 2, 2008

project one edited

I believe that having a learning difference is a great strength rather than a weakness. My main reason for believing this is because in sixth grade I was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. When I was in fifth grade math I could not keep up. I was falling behind and I really just did not understand why everyone else could do the math but me. My teacher would tell me to just look at examples and try to figure it out. This frustrated me because it all looked like a foreign language to me. When I got to the sixth grade, I began attending The Hill Center, a special school for children with learning differences. The Hill Center helped me develop skills I needed to succeed. I did not have a 504 to explain to my teachers about my LD. I had to go to my teachers at my other school and explain the help I needed by myself. I became I a very good self advocate. In the ninth grade I had a great science teacher; he was all about helping me even without my 504. This was a relief, because I was worried that the public schools would not help me with my LD. In my junior year I was not as lucky with my teacher in chemistry. He did not believe in learning differences. This made things very hard I would go in for extra help, and he would tell me that I was doing it wrong. Yet he would not explain how to do it any other way. He would just tell me that I was doing it incorrectly this really frustrated me. Being told that I was wrong but not being told how to fix the problem. I kept going to him for extra help every other day; he even told me I was incapable of learning. I would come home really upset at this point my mom knew she needed to get involved. She set up an appointment with my counselor and the teacher. We all sat there and talked about how we could resolve this problem. We came up with a couple solutions. After that nothing changed it was as if we hadn’t had the meeting. I passed the class with a C. I was proud but worried about what colleges would think about me getting a C in chemistry. My senior year was better not as good as ninth and tenth grade. This teacher did not like to give extra help, but the class was easier so I did better. Going through two years with teachers who would not help me, and making me advocate the help I needed really made me a stronger learner. I had to listen to people tell me I could not learn, and discourage me. I knew differently I knew I could do anything I put my mind to. The Hill Center taught me that having a learning difference does not mean that you are dumb or cannot learn, but that you just learn a different way. I am so grateful for having had the opportunity to attend such a wonderful school like The Hill Center. If I had not attended The Hill Center, I would never have learned to become a strong advocate for myself. Having a learning difference is a great strength of mine; I can tell people exactly what I need. This skill has been very beneficial for college. My LD has shown me that I have to take care of myself no one else is going to do it for me, if I need something, I have to get it. I see my LD as a challenge, not a setback. I am a stronger person because of my learning difference.




i know that it doesnt make much sense to be going from a math LD to a LD in science but math and science sorta go hand in hand not sure

No comments: